We are Vets for Climate Action (VfCA). We represent concerned veterinarians, veterinary nurses, practices, industry partners and members of the public across Australia who want urgent action on climate change.
We are committed to handling your personal information safely and responsibly.
This policy applies to:
Board Directors and Advisors;
- all VfCA staff, including: managers and supervisors; full-time, part-time or casual, temporary or permanent staff; job candidates; student placements, apprentices, contractors, sub-contractors, members and volunteers.
3.1 “Personal Information”
Personal information’ is information or an opinion about an identified person (or a person who is ‘reasonably identifiable’), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material format (such as paper records) or a digital format.
Personal information includes, but is not limited to, a person’s name, address, contact details (such as telephone number or email) and date of birth.
3.2 “Sensitive Information”
‘Sensitive information’ is a special category of personal information and is subject to stricter legal requirements for collection, storage, use and disclosure.
Sensitive information’ is information or an opinion about a person’s:
- racial or ethnic origin
- political opinions
- membership of a political association
- religious beliefs or affiliations
- philosophical beliefs
- membership of a professional or trade association
- membership of a trade union
- sexual preferences or practices
- criminal record
- health information
- genetic information
- biometric information
4. What personal information does VfCA collect and why does VfCA collect it?
VfCA collects personal information about individuals, including members, supporters, volunteers, donors, employees, contractors, job applicants and other people with whom we or a third party has contact in connection with our activities. The types of personal information that we may collect includes: names, addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, date of birth, and bank/credit card details.
We may also use “cookies” to track visits to our website if you have not disabled cookies in your internet browser settings: however, this information does not identify you.
We generally collect your personal information so we can deliver and improve the services we provide. We may use your personal information for the purpose of:
- fulfilling our purpose in the immediate reason for which you have provided it to us (e.g., to enable us to process your request, payment, registration, subscription etc);
- updating your existing information in our records;
- providing opportunities for you to tackle the climate crisis and educating you on how to do so;
- supporting you to educate and engage people within your own circles of influence and pressure politicians into taking action to tackle the climate crisis;
- notifying you of our activities and campaigns, reporting to you about our work, inviting you to participate
- seeking new members, supporters, and donors;
- recruiting staff, contractors, board members, and volunteers;
- forging alliances and supporting like-minded organisations and associations to achieve climate action and environmental related outcomes.
VfCA generally only collects your sensitive information with your consent (such as your philosophical or political beliefs). We will only use this information for the reason you provided it to us, or a directly related reason.
5. How VfCA collects personal information
VfCA may collect your personal information in a variety of ways including:
- telephone and email correspondence;
- when you interact with us online, via social media or through our website;
- from third parties, such as our contracted service providers.
6. How VfCA shares your personal information
VfCA will not rent or sell your personally identifiable information to others.
We may share your personal information with our partners and our contracted service providers. where it is reasonable and necessary for us to carry out our work. When we do this, we will take steps to ensure your personal information is handled securely and responsibly. We may also disclose your personal information when required by law.
7. Security of personal information
VfCA also takes reasonable steps to keep your information secure.
We store your information using secure digital and physical methods.
Your personal information is only made available toVfCA staff who need it to carry out our functions and activities.
As a volunteer-led organisation, your personal information may be visible to core people (including staff, board members, and core individuals volunteering within our organisation).
We aim to only hold your personal information for as long as we need it for our work, or where we are required by law to keep it. We will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify your personal information when we no longer need it.
8. Access to your personal information
You can ask us to provide you with access to the personal information we hold about you, and update or correct that information.
If you wish to access your personal information, please contact us in writing at [email protected]. We will acknowledge your request within 30 calendar days, and fulfil it as soon as we can.
In order to protect your personal information we may ask you to prove your identity before releasing the requested information.
9. Policy updates
If you have any questions about this Policy, or to make a complaint, please contact us at [email protected]